Tasting - Meeker Merlot 2012


Name: Meeker
Variety: Merlot
Region: Sonoma County, California
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $42

Winery reviewThis dark ruby colored Merlot is a bit bigger than your typical Merlot. It also has one of the coolest bottles you will come across. It opens with an attractive mild plum and gentle black raspberry bouquet. On the palate, this wine is medium bodied, balanced and savory. The flavor profile is a mineral infused black raspberry with notes of plum and old oak. I also detected hints of tart black cherry in the background. The finish is dry and its moderate tannins are dusty and stick around for a very long time. As a result this Merlot is on the hearty side and could benefit from a little decanting. It paired well with sausage, peppers and onions. Enjoy - 11/2/2016 Ken Hoggins

My review: Dark purple wine almost black in color.  Black berry, or black cherry, aromas with some floral tones.  Full/medium bodied with medium, to high, tannic levels.  I was honestly scared of this wine when I saw the color, I thought the tannic structure would be overpowering.  I was pleasantly surprised that the tannic structure was well balanced with the sugar levels.  And, I didn't find the wine overwhelmingly dry.  I thought this wine was a good find, and would buy it again.  I loved the artistry in the hand painted bottle too. I did not pair this wine with food.



Comments

Popular Posts