Hello! My name is Makyla Tipken.  I am a GIS major at The University of Oklahoma.  I am currently a junior, but I am only a part-time student.  I take 1-2 classes per semester, and I will hopefully graduate in 4 years (2021).  I am 37 years old, married, and have 3 kids ranging in age from 21 to 7 years old. I am also a full-time employee at Poe & Associates, a consulting engineering firm in Oklahoma City, where I have worked for the past 15 years.  I am taking this course as a part of my cognate requirement for my degree, and I really enjoy geography although I don't get to travel much.  
This blog is being created to follow my course study in the Geography of Wine class (GEOG 3133).  We will be exploring the diffusion of wine around the world, as well as the economic, cultural, religious, and historical effects that wine has on people and the planet.  I am hoping to utilize the academic knowledge regarding this massive agricultural activity to broaden my understanding of wine and to grow a greater appreciation for it.

My current wine knowledge is minimal, and I mostly stick to dessert wines or mascato.  I tend to stay way from dry, bold wines.  I have done a grand total of 3 wine tastings in all my years of drinking, and have just recently begun to dive into wine consumption.  I tend to drink local wines, mostly to support the local economy.  My favorite wines are currently...

  • #GirlsTrip made by Girls Gone Wine in Broken Bow, Oklahoma.  This is a semi-sweet white.
  • Deep Fork Red made by Sparks Vineyard & Winery in Sparks, Oklahoma.  This is a sweet red.
  • Barefoot Moscato made by Barefoot in California.  This is a sweet white.
I am excited to take this course, and I found the syllabus intriguing.  I am especially looking forward to Wine Pairing blogs and Winery Visits.  I am hoping to learn more about the cultural aspects of wine in general, specifically what makes wine in one country better than another country?  I would also enjoy learning some interesting historical and religious facts regarding some of the European countries and their effects on the growth and production of wine, and how the people have helped to shape industry and culture of wine.  I look forward to getting started in this course, and hope you enjoy following my blog and experiences...

Comments

Popular Posts